(mouse-over to magnify / click to expand)
This time of year, citrus gives us a splash of color that shakes up winter's otherwise subdued hues. It reminds us that somewhere in the world, it's warm and sunny right now!
The rules for this challenge are simple:
1. Use my photo, a different photo, or set up your own grouping and paint from life.
2. Stick to citrus, there are so many to choose from--lemons, limes, oranges, tangerines, grapefruit, one of the endless hybrids or even kumquats are all fine. You can keep them whole, slice them, a single fruit or several of the same. A medley of different varieties, you be the judge. Glassware and/or utensils is fine.
3. Before you begin to paint, take a second and think about composition. Take a pencil and sketch either on the painting surface or on a piece of paper where you want the fruit to go.
4. Keep the saying "It's not what you paint, but how you paint," in the back of your mind as you work. Even a simplest of subjects can be beautiful.
5. Most importantly, enjoy yourself!
Please be sure to follow the spirit and the letter of the challenge.
For example, each submission must be painted after the challenge is posted.